lunedì 8 novembre 2010

Scarlet Letter 36


"Mother," said little Pearl, "the sunshine does not love you. It runs away and hides itself, because it is afraid of something on your bosom. Now, see! There it is, playing a good way off. Stand you here, and let me run and catch it. I am but a child. It will not flee from me, for I wear nothing on my bosom yet!"
The sunshine symbolizes the pure light of God. It is far from Hester Pryne because she is a sinner, she did a big mistake and she can’t enjoy completely God’s goodness. Opposite Pearl is only a child, she doesn’t know anything about the life, she has no fault, and she is pure so she can play with the sunshine.
As Hester, arrived under the light, tries to reach the sun with her hand, the sun goes away. It seems like if Pearl have absorbed it because despite she isn’t a common child, she still is under God’s goodness and God cares about her.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento